Saturday, September 15, 2012

In The Workshop...

YAY! I am so excited, we are finally in the workshop. All our hard work of finding and deciding on the right clock for us, and then creating and forming our layers is all about to come together in our finalised clock. On Thursday, Mr Andrews told us that after he did a final check on our layers - making sure they were okay, he would take us on our first venture to the workshop to begin working. Luckily enough, everyone's layers must have been ready as we were taken to the workshop. This was quite a relief for me as even though I spent quite a long time on the weekend perfecting my layers, I wasn't quite sure if they were correct.

Once clock layers from our class had 'passed the test', Mr Andrews took us to the workshop. We left our books outside on some racks and walked inside making sure to stand behind the safety line (yellow marking tape) - this was to ensure everyone was in the one place at the one time and that Mr Andrew's knew that no-one could be hurt by any tools or machines. At the same time we were taken into the workshop, Mr Ward was teaching some Grade 11 students. This didn't bother me at all, and if anything I thought we were quite lucky to have them in there as 7K had the opportunity to see what a class looked like 'in action'.

After Mr Andrews instructed us on a few safety precautions - such as never cross the safety line unless instructed to, always wear an apron and goggles (goggles depend on the activity you are doing), and when the teacher says STOP everyone must  stop completely and immediately. We were allowed to go to one of the working benches and choose a piece of MDF wood square carving that would fit the shape and size of our layering images. Now, my clock fitted best to a square shaped piece of wood, however it needed to be even all the way around (e.g. 20cmx20cm not 15cmx22cm) as all my carrousels needed to be able to fit on without cutting them in half. Finding a piece of wood suitable for me was not as easy as it was for some other girls but in the end there were two pieces of wood I found that I was tossing up between to decide which one would be the most space-efficient to the size of my clock.

By the time everyone had found their piece of wood (at this point I was helping Charlotte with her layers and wood) Mr Andrews told us that the lesson was nearly over and that we needed to pack up. Everyone understood completely, took off their aprons, put their layers and piece of MDF wood into a cupboard underneath one of the working benches and reassembled behind the safety line, for Mr Andrews to do a short re-cap on the lesson and dismiss us.

I thought this would have to be the most exciting lesson we have had yet, as we were finally allowed to go into the workshop, and begin the hands-on process to our clock building and making. What I also loved was the fact that Mr Andrews told us to always meet down at the workshop now, and not in the computer room - this reinforced to us that we would definitely start to make our clocks and not go back to the computers to plan anymore.

I cannot wait until our next lesson and next Term when we are able to put all this Term's (Term 3) hard work into a finalised and practical result!


No comments:

Post a Comment