Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Layering Lessons


For the past few lessons 7K has been starting our layering process and now in the 9th week of Term, we are finally ready to start doing practical lessons in the workshop!

Firstly we had to find images of our chosen clock design - in my case this was a Ferris Wheel; preferably vintage. After we had found either one image that would be suitable to start designing our layers on we would print it out and highlight all the different layers. However I chose another option, none of the images on google were suitable for what I wanted my clock to be or resemble. For example:

They only show parts of the Ferris Wheel or the picture is not front on...


They do not have 12 spokes for all 12 numbers on a clock...


Or they were too plain, boring and non-realistic...



So I found two different pictures and blended them together. I found one of a ferris wheel with 12 spokes (so I have room for all 12 numbers) which also had good detail in the middle and a elegant yet sturdy looking base without being too noticeable or too blended in. Then I took my second image and cut out the carriages (as the other image didn't have any) and also cut out a cute vintage centrepiece which was also located from the second image. I then glued them together and pretended like it was already an image I found so I could continue with the following steps.

Next, we had to photocopy our photo and go around each layer in a different colour so we could tell which was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. I had some trouble with this initially, however, as I thought I had 12 layers, but Mr Andrews explained to me that this was far too many and some layers could be joined together. He also said that some were too small to make and I could just paint them in. I also found and observed that everyone else in the class struggled with the layers in one way or another. For example some people would cut gaps in their layers, this was incorrect as you needed a base and to think in advance for the next layer, otherwise they would all fall into each other (into the open gaps) and you would end up with only a one-layered clock. Only Lois managed to do this properly...even I made a mistake with my first layer!

After we had decided on how many layers our clock would consist of we had to photocopy our original image one time for each layer and then another as a spare (so say if your clock had 5 layers, you would photocopy it 6 times).

These steps have been very time consuming and have occupied us for the past three to four lessons. Now, everyone's layers should be completed which now gives us all the opportunity to start the initial process of practical work in the workshop! I am really excited for next lesson, and are completely prepared for any  challenges or successes (lows or highs) my clock presents me with.


No comments:

Post a Comment